Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Need HELP with 802-8d and 288-16k

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Barossi's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2004
    Posts
    121
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Hi,

    i need new screws for the 802-8d and 288-16k:

    -screws for diaphragm
    -screws diaphragm cap

    Could you please tell me the srew length and the size. Here we have the metric system.

    Greetings Barossi

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Jim D's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    155
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    For the 802---

    All screws are USS thread 6/32. If you have a loading cap, the diaphragm holding screw length, less screw head, is 7/8". If you have no loading cap, it's 5/8". The screws to hold the cover on are 3/4". For the diaphragm holding screws use something non magnetic like Stainless Steel or Brass. I prefer Stainless with a Phillips type head, in fact I would use stainless for all the screws, besides, they look nice.

    For the 288--

    Again the diaphragm holding screws are 6/32. I am guessing, but I think they are 3/4" long. Again I would use stainless. The G and later 288s use 4 10/32 screws to hold on the cover. As I remember, the K, L, 299 screws are 1 1/4" long, the Gs are 1" long. The drivers came with black anodized hex head cap screws. Again I prefer stainlesss, they don't rust.

    Hope this helps, JIM

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Barossi's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2004
    Posts
    121
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Jim,

    i could not find 6/32 screws.
    What i could find here in Germany is the following:

    http://www.online-schrauben.de/isroo...20Beschreibung

    What should i do?

    Greetings Barossi

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member gvasale's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2005
    Location
    Webster, Ma
    Posts
    215
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    looking at the link, it seems to me that 1 inch long 6/32 screws are available. Last chart. see size 6, shows 6/32 and 6/40. Or are you tellin us that you could find only the chart? Seems to me someone here could mail some over.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member gvasale's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2005
    Location
    Webster, Ma
    Posts
    215
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Forgot to add, the filister head (if I spelled it right) is not very common except in OEM situations. Round heads look ugly in this case, but socket heads are probably the best.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Jim D's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    155
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Actually,

    I would not use slot head screws, be they phillister or round heads. The magnets, especially in the 288 are very strong and can pull you screw driver into the diaphragm quite easily. With a slot head , the magnet can slide the screwdriver head right out of the slot. Always use both hands on the screwdriver, one on the handle, the other on the shaft right above the bit. I learned this the hard way, rather expensive..

    The 802 does not care which screw head you you use, regular round heads with a phillips head work fine. On the new 288 diaphragm, one needs a narrower head screw, similar to a phillister. If you have a bench grinder, it's easy to spin round heads and take off the edge. The screws have to fit in between the ridges on the diaphragm ring. Older 288 diaphragms don't care.
    Whatever you do, don't use steel screws. On 288s, I have seen loose screws literally jump out of the screw hole and land in the tangent pleats, destroying the diaphragm.
    Here, in the US it's easy to get the 6/32s. Often times we cannot get the right length so we cut them off by using the screw cutters on wire stripper/terminal crimper. Don't know if you can find an "American" one of these there either. Here it's easy to get USS or Metric. I bet all the right screws here cost less than a dollar. I feel for your frustration, do you have any friends on a US Military base? . JIM

  7. #7
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Barossi:
    Hi Jim,

    i could not find 6/32 screws.
    What i could find here in Germany is the following:

    http://www.online-schrauben.de/isroo...20Beschreibung

    What should i do?

    Greetings Barossi
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">On your linked chart, the entry "Nr.6" is what we call a 6/32. If those aren't available, the nearest metric equivalent is M3.5 x .06 thread, which isn't identical, but worth a try (by hand).

    Parts-chasing can be frustrating to me at times, I can't imagine not being able to get the odd hardware down at the local store, I feel for you, dude....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.